Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Castaways

I love Elin Hilderbrand.  I have read many of her books over the last several summers - her books are the quintessential summer read.  Despite growing up in Connecticut, I have never been to Nantucket, but am quite familiar with its appeal and its lore, so I get a kick out of references to this magical (if too populated) island.   This story is a bit jumbled, however - the events take place chronologically after the death of the couple, but each surviving member of the group has his/her own sections which vascillate between flashback and current time.  I did find it challenging to track the love-triangles between the friends,  but all in all this was a fun, easy, perfect summer read.  I just prefer my summer reads to be, at times, even more brain-free than this one required of me.  I look forward to reading SUMMER PEOPLE by this author while I await my copy of FLY AWAY HOME by my other favorite summer author - Jennifer Weinner.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, Elin grew up down the street from me and we were good friends my senior year of high school :)

    ReplyDelete