Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zeitoun


I just finished this book two days ago and am still thinking about it. I could not put it down and read the whole thing in 2 days. "Zeitoun" in a non-fiction novel following one family's experience living through hurricane Katrina in 1995. As I am not the most eloquent writer, I am including a review I felt summed up the feels I had about "Zeitoun":

"Imagine Charles Dickens, his sentimentality in check but his journalistic eyes wide open, roaming New Orleans after it was buried by Hurricane Katrina. He would find anger and pathos. A dark fable, perhaps. His villains would be evil and incompetent, even without Heckuva-Job-Brownie. In the end, though, he would not be able to constrain himself; his outrage might overwhelm the tale." TIMOTHY EGAN, New York Times

2 comments:

  1. Ok - my bad as Katrina was in 2005, not 1995. Somehow I lost 10 years!!!

    ReplyDelete