Monday, May 31, 2010

Life After Yes

I wanted to LOVE this book.  I've been following the author on her blog for some time now, and I find her witty and fun.  Someone I'd love to meet for coffee or a drink somewhere, and just chat...  I wanted to love it for all the hard work I know goes into writing a book, and this is her first novel..  She always dreamt of being an author (me too), and decided to just DO IT (like me) and I can only hope to be able to follow her path with my own book.

I loved the idea of the book - what happens AFTER you say yes to your future.  I didn't realize before reading it that the YES in question is the time between the proposal and the wedding; I expected it to be after the marriage vows were said and the guests all went home.

I wanted to love it, because I was so excited to read it.  But, I couldn't love it.  I liked it well enough, but the protagonist and I didn't jibe.  I could not understand her, or her choices.  I found her shallow, and I found the other men far more intriguing than her betrothed.  Now, all that said, I did cry at the end, and very much liked the ending, but I never felt particularly taken by any of the characters.  Maybe I am too old, maybe I am not from Manhattan, maybe engagement is too far a distant memory for me to relate to this, but I just could not buy her choices, while overall I loved the premise of the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment