Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things

I am fascinated by hoarders. I don't watch the television shows about them because I believe it's exploitation of people who have problems they cannot control. I know they get help, too, but I think that's to manipulate the audience into thinking that the directors and producers of the show are doing this for humanitarian reasons.

But this book, by Randy O. Frost and Gail Steketee passes my smell test. The authors are Ph.D.s who are researching the hows and whys of hoarders and how they can get "better."

The book uses case studies of hoarders to find the connection between OCD and hoarding (it's there). They talk about children of hoarders, and children who are hoarders. It is very interesting reading without seeming exploitative or manipulative. I saw some of myself in some of the hoarders -- I keep books and magazines and articles because I might want to read them someday or I might need them someday -- but somehow, my brain chemistry keeps it under control, while the true hoarders are unable to control their urges.

No comments:

Post a Comment