Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Help


I just finished reading this book after staying up way too late last night. It is the first book I've read on my new nook, my birthday present. More about the nook later.

I can see why this book has been on The New York Times Bestseller list for as long as it has. The characters are so warm and vivid, they draw you in and make you care about them.

The story takes place in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960s. It is the story of a young white woman who decides to tell the stories of Jackson's African American maids--the help--and their relationships with the families they serve. Sometimes wonderful, sometimes awful, the stories are never boring, and neither are the people.

Even though I live up here in the great white North, several decades past the Civil Rights Movement, it made me think about the African American woman that essentially raised me and my brothers, and how she might have felt. I wish I could ask her, but she passed away several years ago. The book just made me miss her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment