Friday, April 2, 2010

The Monsters of Templeton

 It took me forever to finish this book, partly because I read, as a rule, right before I go to bed and I kept falling asleep, but partly it took me so long because it was not just an easy book to read.  The plot goes back and forth between generations, introduces characters who have no apparent relevance to the story, and has a MC (Main Character) who I find to be whiny and lost, rather than this "golden child returning to town" that everyone in the novel seems to think.

There is a family tree on the last pages that answer all the questions posed during the novel - had I just looked there FIRST, I could have saved myself much time! 

The only highlight for me in the story was the Monster of the Lake, its demise and the idea that there could, possibly, be an offspring.  The rest of it was uninspiring, and I'm curious how it ended up on the NYT Bestseller list.. other than the cool cover!

Monsters is by Lauren Groff, published by VOICE and is 361 pages long.  I am currently on page 127.

2 comments:

  1. Just bought this book yesterday. Not sure if I am going to have an easy time getting through. My daughter is currently reading it and finds it confusing. I will tell her about the family tree on the last page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to give this book 3 stars out of 5. It was okay. The best part of the book was the cover design. I have to admit I did enjoy some of the odd family stories!

    ReplyDelete