Monday, April 26, 2010

Green

Green is subtitled "The Circle Book 0: The Beginning and the End" and is a late addition to Ted Dekker's Circle Series (formerly, Trilogy). The last book of the series was published in 2004. I read and loved the trilogy. I bought the first book, Black, for family members I was so impressed with it. When I saw that this book was being released last year I was anxious to read it.

Green is described as being either the beginning or the end of the series. Basically, for those of us who read the first three already, we are told we can go ahead and read this one now. For people who haven't, they can start here. Or end here. It doesn't matter. It's a CIRCLE.

As further background, Dekker is considered a Christian author. I've found his book to generally be non-preachy, edgy, suspenseful stories about the fight between good and evil. In the Circle series, Dekker tells the story of Thomas Hunter who is living two parallel lives after a head injury. In one life, he battles to save the world from a life-threatening virus. This storyline continues to develop through the three books in the series. In the other world, a more visceral battle of good and evil is constantly evolving from book to book. This was compelling reading as there was one thread that continued to tie the books together but the other thread more or less reached conclusion within a book. The series was much more sci fi/fantasy in feel than Christian but also has themes that were reminscent of C.S. Lewis' Narnia books.

I'm sad to report that I was very disappointed in this addition to the series. So much so, I'm going to go back and reread the original series to see if I am imagining that it was as good as I recall. I do know that if I was new to this series, I wouldn't read any more after reading this book because some of the violence and depravity in this book was stomach churning. The device Dekker sets up in this novel to make it both the beginning and the end to the series is clever and intriguing but, again, some of the gory (literally) detail in this installment made me glad to be done reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment